State Secretary Antony Blinken said that while Ukraine had recaptured half of the territory originally seized by Russia, Kiev faced a “very tough fight” to recapture more.
“50% of the initial seizure has already been recovered,” he said in an interview with CNN on Sunday.
“It’s still relatively early days of the counterattack. It’s tough,” he said, adding: “It won’t happen in the next week or two. We’re still looking, I think for a couple of months.”
As Kyiv’s forces struggle to break entrenched Russian positions in the country’s south and east, hopes that Ukraine can quickly dislodge Moscow’s forces from its territory after launching a summer counteroffensive are fading.
President Volodymyr Zelensky was quoted last month as saying progress against Russian forces was “slower than desired” but would not pressure Kiev to speed it up.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
Featured video of the day
Global recognition for 17-year-old Indian student’s vision